Monday, July 14, 2008

Losing a Chin :-)

It's Monday and I am not quite two weeks post surgery. By my scales I have lost a total of 16 pounds in the past 2 weeks. I'm not sure how the Dr.'s office scales will compare with that. Right now I'm not sure that it matters. What matters is that I have lost a lot of weight and frankly more than I expected to so soon. I think I may have also shed one of my chins.

My diet in these past two weeks has consisted of sugar free jello, sugar free popcicles, broth, 1% milk, water and flavored sugar free water. I like to think of it as the Ghandi Diet. Your basic clear liquids only fast. My body must have shed all of its physical impurities by now don't you think ? ;-) Will and I went to the grocery store over the weekend and I was thrilled to find sugar free popcicles flavored as Diet A&W Rootbeer, Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Orange Crush. Best of all they lack carbonation. Carbonated beverages must never pass my lips again. They would stretch my new stomach and make it hold more. That is a cardinal no-no. Of course that really isn't too important to me as I have never really been a huge soda fan.

Walking has become an important part of my day. What started out as a very slow half a block has turned into about a mile at a time. I try to do that twice a day weather permitting. The weather only permitted once yesterday as it literally poured all day. The rest of the week it is supposed to be nice and sunny. The end of the week may end in a heat wave. That could be rather annoying. Thank goodness for AC. Will showed me a website called mapmyrun.com that lets you calculate your mileage for any course you might walk or run.

I sat out in the sun for a little bit this morning. It felt good to be outside. I've been spending some time on the front porch as well. I have to admit that I am starting to get a little stir crazy being home so much of the time. Fortunately I can resume driving in two days. At least then I can run errands and be more social. Right now I am bordering on being bored.

Wednesday is a big day for another reason. It is the day I start full liquids. I have an appointment with the dietitian in the morning and then I move up to that next important step. I am excited about that but a little nervous too. Figuring out how much my stomach will tolerate at a time will be a careful and slow process. However, getting to taste some new flavors will be welcome. Right now it is basically sweet or salt.

1 comment:

CarynSV said...

Debb,
John and I try to eat healthy as much as possible. And we love the Kashi brand snack bars. Most snacks bars and fruit bars have high fructose corn syrup. But these do not and are very healthy and not sweet like many others. There are many varieties, but I like the Cherry Dark Chocolate all natural chewy granola bars. Kashi also makes protein bars as well. Both are found in the health food section of Wegmans. Target also carries the granola bars.
www.kashi.com