Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Delicious Cream of Broccoli Soup!

Today is "move-up day". I have graduated to pureed foods. My first "meal" was one third cup of Campbell's Cream of Broccoli soup. It took me 45 minutes to eat it. Frankly I was a little bit afraid. It isn't unusual for gastric bypass patients to have their food come back up if they eat too fast or too much. Especially in the beginning. Purees are thicker than clear liquids so the whole eating process changes again.

Starting today I am to eat three meals a day. Each meal should measure between 1/4 and 1/3 cup of pureed food per meal. The texture of this food is to be runny. I used my Magic Bullet blender to bring the soup to that consistency. I cannot drink with my meals. Drinking clear liquids should be between these three mini meals. I am supposed to try to get 50 - 70 grams of protein a day. I think that can include the protein in the 1% milk that counts as clear liquid between meals. I am also now taking two Flintstones Complete chewable children's vitamins each day. They have to be taken at two separate times. Did you know that children's vitamins are more potent than adult vitamins ?

My menu has many more options for these next two weeks. I can have any cooked cereal except oatmeal as long as it is thinned with milk. Also on the approved list are: creamed soups, yogurt, any juice, pudding, fruit if it can be pureed (no seeds allowed), Slim Fast, Iced Green Tea and whey protein powder. Additionally I can now flavor my food with syrups, extracts, spices, powders, juices, melted peanut butter and Splenda. The only catch is that it should be sugar free or low sugar and contain absolutely no high fructose corn syrup.

I went from my appointment with the dietitian to the grocery store. Wegman's had these items. Variety is the spice of life and I am quite happy to have some variety both in texture and in flavor. I'm not really hungry yet but I understand the importance of eating as required.

When the dietitian Colleen weighed me this morning I was actually shocked. I have lost exactly twenty pounds. Twenty pounds in two weeks. That is just amazingly unbelievable. No wonder my clothes are already quite loose. Fortunately I do have two sizes smaller in my closet. I'll probably need to buy some new things when it's time to go back to work in the fall. I don't want to buy my whole wardrobe over and over so I plan on getting just a few pieces at a time. I did celebrate the twenty pound loss today by going to Dick's Sporting Goods and buying a new sleeveless tee shirt. I bought a medium. Slightly tight but not uncomfortable. :-)

All in all it's been a very good day. Two weeks from now I'll begin to explore my possibilities with regular food.


No comments: