Thursday, July 10, 2008

On the Mend

I am feeling quite a bit better today. Yesterday I saw the surgeon for my first post-op visit. He removed the hard plastic 10" drain tubing and the "grenade". It feels much more comfortable to have that out. That incision can now set about healing. The other five incisions glued nicely and can be uncovered now. It makes a very strange symmetrical design on my abdomen. He pronounced me right on schedule with my healing process.

Officially I have lost 12 pounds. That is amazing. After the initial huge drop it seems to be about a pound a day right now. Of course one must take into consideration that I am on an all clear and sugar free liquid diet with the addition of skim or 1% milk. Will said that I am thinner in the face and legs. I suppose the stomach will eventually start to shrink too. In one week I will meet with the dietitian and begin full liquids.

I am starting to have more energy. Will and I walked a half mile around the neighborhood this morning. The last little bit was tiring but overall I did well. It is a beautiful, breezy day in the upper 70's which is perfect for walking. We might do that again a bit later on today if I'm feeling up to it. The Dr. said walking is fine. My body will tell me if it's too much.

My parents, who have been visiting and taking care of me, left this morning to return to Florida. I am so appreciative that they were here to help. Fortunately they were here for a couple of weeks before my surgery so that we could have some fun before I was not feeling well. They left us with a clean and well-stocked house. Now that's the kind of guests to have :-) tee hee.............I love my parents, they're so good to me.




No comments: