Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Dangers of Belly Fat

This picture is of the tape measure around the widest part of my waist, forty four and one half inches. Imagine that. The smallest I can remember it being was 30 inches when I was in high school. According to the University of Rochester Medical Center: Bariatric Surgery Center at Highland Hospital, a person who is 4'9" (me) should weigh between 79 - 97 pounds. Theoretically that means I should lose 69 - 87 pounds. I'd be thrilled to weigh 110. I know those numbers seem very low to those of you reading this. REMEMBER, I am the height of the average 8-10 year old. If I lose that much weight, my waist circumference should be somewhere in the twenties. I have always carried most of my weight in my belly. I have a classic "apple" physique.

Scientists have discovered that people with wide bellies are more likely to have large amounts of deep-hidden belly fat around their organs. It might be the most dangerous kind of fat and could increase a person's risk of diabetes, heart disease, stroke and some types of cancer. This fat, which is called visceral or intra-abdominal fat, is linked to high cholesterol, high insulin, high triglycerides, high blood pressure and other problems. At greatest risk of developing health problems from too much hidden belly fat are men whose waists are wider than 40 inches and women whose waists are wider than 35 inches.

I won't know until I wake up after surgery tomorrow which way my surgery was performed. My Surgeon, Dr. Sadhasivam, is going to try to do a laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. There is a strong possibility that he will instead do an open Roux-en-Y. Because of my belly fat, short torso and enlarged liver he may not have room to do the laparoscopic procedure.


No comments: