Sunday, June 29, 2008

My Malotov Cocktail

Every day for the past several years I have started and ended my day with an extensive and expensive array of pharmaceutical wonders. Pfizer, GlaxoSmithKline, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Knoll Pharmaceuticals and many others have profited from my medical condition. I currently take 14 different medications every day. That is ridiculous. If I didn't have prescription insurance I would surely be bankrupt. One wonders how this could happen. It happened to me one medication at a time. One new problem at a time.

The smooth endoplasmic reticulum of the liver cell is the principal organ of drug metabolism, although every biological tissue has some ability to metabolize drugs (Wikipedia 2008). That's not a good thing for someone who has a fatty liver and elevated liver enzymes. When 14 medications pass through my liver every day, the drugs treating my medical problems actually contribute to the problem. How is that for irony?

Yesterday was the last time I filled my plastic weekly pill container with all of those pills. Tuesday will be the last time I take them all in a single day. After my surgery, most of those pills will no longer be necessary. That makes me very, very happy. I feel like I am shedding a skin. A therapeutic, yet poisonous skin.

No comments: