Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Beginning

I have struggled with my weight for most of my life. My first weight loss attempts began at age nine as did the many weight loss strategies and therapies. I have been medically and clinically supervised, educated in nutrition and exercise, tried fad diets, prescribed diet pills and have taken diet supplements. Each time I have successfully lost weight but have failed to maintain the loss despite my efforts to regulate my diet and exercise regularly.

My body conspired against me. I am 4'9" tall. At one time I was actually 4' 11". Shrinking with age surely didn't help the situation. Genetically I come from a long line of very short people. I have always been calorically efficient A.K.A. I have a slow metabolism.

Growing up, being overweight and very short, subjected me to ridicule. One of my brother’s friends actually called me “Pancake” because I was short and fat. Kids can be so cruel. For that matter so can adults. I know I heard many an unkind comment from people old enough to know better. I learned to make jokes about my body as an armor to deflect the hurt. “I’m not overweight just under tall”. Eventually fat becomes the armor. I didn’t choose to be a short fat person, I just am.

Some people think fat people are lazy. They think that if you just worked harder and ate less you’d be thin. Normal body size people don’t have a clue how wrong they are. If it were that easy we'd all be thin. They are simply blessed with good genetics and good health. They have a healthy metabolism.

Opinions on obesity are slowly changing. The United States of America is the fattest country in the world. There are more fat people now than ever. About 61% of Americans, or 127 million people, weigh too much, according to the latest government statistics. And 26%, or 54 million are obese — that is, 30 or more pounds over a healthy weight. That's up from 15% in the late 1970s. I am just one in those millions of people.

The statistics are deadly. All factors combined, obesity is a leading cause of premature death. Obesity is a risk factor for heart and vascular disease, diabetes, certain cancers, pulmonary disease, arthritis, kidney disease and depression. For me the fat represents the poor state of my health. At 46 I need to get healthy.

I have Metabolic Syndrome. What is Metabolic Syndrome?

An association between certain metabolic disorders and cardiovascular disease has been known since the 1940s. In the 1980s this association became more clearly defined and the term metabolic syndrome (also known as syndrome X or the dysmetabolic syndrome) was coined to designate a cluster of metabolic risk factors that come together in a single individual. In more current times, the term metabolic syndrome is found throughout medical literature and in the lay press as well. There are slight differences in the criteria of diagnosis - depending on which authority is quoted. Regardless, the concept of a clustering of risks factors leading to cardiovascular disease is well accepted. Generally speaking metabolic syndrome manifests in high blood pressure, hyperlipidemia, insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes and in some people a fatty liver which can lead to a condition called steatohepatitis. Simply put, steatohepatitis is an inflammation of the liver cells which causes liver damage. If unchecked, this condition can lead to cirrhosis and potentially liver failure. Metabolic Syndrome has also been associated with Polycystic Ovary Disease and high cortisol levels.

Some people only have a few of these issues, I have most. I am taking action to halt this deadly disease in its tracks. On July 2, 2008 I will undergo a Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass. My goal is to live an active and healthy life. This is what I must do to achieve my goal. This is my story.

1 comment:

Megan&boys' said...

Hey Debb, I struggle too in that department and have since my parents divorced. I turned to food as comfort I guess...2nd grade was the time. I have always been active I agree with you about the stereotypical "fat" comments, etc. NOT TRUE! Anyway, I'm glad to get to look at your blog, I will check it frequently! We are thinking about you as your surgery approaches and will be in contact to check on you. Love, Meg